Silverton Magazine - Silverton, Colorado | ||
Blair Street | Burke's Custom Tours for Photographers & Artists | Silverton Magazine Home Page |
Historical Walking Tour - Notorious Blair Street, Silverton, Colo. All content © San Juan Publishing Group, Inc. All rights reserved. Historical descriptions excerpted from the print version of Silverton Magazine, and the historical tour authored by Allen Nossaman. Edited by Silverton Magazine Editors. Duotones, James Burke. ALL material herein is copyright San Juan Publishing Group, Inc and may not be reproduced by any means whatsoever. For the complete historical walking tour, order a copy of the print ve sion of Silverton Magazine from San Juan Publishing Group, Inc., PO Box 705, Ridgway CO 81432. (Email: [email protected])West side of Blair ![]() 1251 Blair. (The Hummingbird Shop) This intriguing one-story stone building (known as the Stone Saloon) was erected by Joe Todeschi as a residence in May 1896, but was converted to incorporate a saloon by Joe’s brother Tony after the former’s death a year later. The structure was aesthetically linked to the Dallavalle building to the north after the latter’s construction in 1902. (The building was used as a crib by several women, including “Black Minnie” Heberline. She was white but her disposition was black.) 1245 Blair. (vacant) This structure is all that remains of Silverton’s original City Hall. The building was completed in the summer of 1883, and contained municipal offices on the now-missing second floor and a firehouse on the surviving ground level. The jail was a separate building in the rear. The front of the hall, as built, was very ornate, and the upstairs rooms were frequently used for dancing classes. All of these functions were replaced with the present Town hall in 1908. 1215 Blair. (The Lookout Shop) Site of the former Mikado Saloon and Bordello, established by “21” Pearl Thompson, and later operated by “Big Billie” and her girls, including Ollie Kelly and “Babe,” or “Blonde Peggy.” It burned down in 1954. The two lots to the north were used by the Exchange Livery as a corral for their horses. 1205 Blair. (High Noon, on the corner) In the 1880s, this lot was the site of the Westminster Dance Hall, converted in the 1920s to an infamous gambling establishment and brothel, known as The Laundry. ![]() Old Town Square ![]() 1115 Blair. (Professor Shutterbug’s) The front portion of this building contained the oldest bordello on Blair Street. The back portion was moved to here in the 1960s from Middleton, a ghost town between Howardsville and Eureka. The cabin to the north of Professor Shutterbug’s is the original San Juan County courthouse, and used to be located in Howardsville. It was the first courthouse to be built in western Colorado. The two small cabins sandwiched behind the newly constructed Emporium building, and in front of the public rest rooms, were originally miners’ cabins in Eureka. They still contain the original newspaper insulation of over 100 years ago. 144 E. 10th. (Avon Hotel) Prolific Silverton contractor F.O. Sherwood erected this brick building in 1904, and the massive structure was designed to house Sherwood & Son’s grocery, stove, and tinware business, a rooming and boardinghouse run by son Willis’s spouse, and living quarters for the family. The building’s cornice was simplified after the structure survived a major fire, and it has served as a rooming house, hotel, bar, and restaurant in recent years. East side of Blair 220 E. 10th. (Alma House) Bridget Hughes had opened a lodging establishment introducing the name Alma House in a frame building on this corner, oriented to the traffic to and from the railroad depot. Prosperity around the turn of the last century allowed her to erect this structure in 1902, using native stone from the Cement Creek drainage on the first floor and frame construction on the second floor and attic. Empty for years, the building has recently been restored to lodging purposes. 11th & Blair ![]() ![]() ![]() 1234 Blair. (Hitchin’ Post) Dating from around 1906, this building was originally the Monte Carlo Saloon and a boardinghouse. At different times, the buildings here housed a gambling hall, part of a livery, and a chili parlour popular among the frequenters of Blair Street, where men seldom slept or took time to get a square meal. 1246 Blair. (Silverton Public Lands Center)This building, erected in 1906, was once a combination residence, grocery, and shoe store, and was most noted as the emporium of Barney Tocco. Three cows, producing milk sold in the store, were kept in the barn in back. The barn still has evidence of the still operated there during Prohibition. The structure, and the smaller shop to the north, have typical false fronts attractive to motion picture companies on Blair St. during the 1950s. 1250 Blair. (vacant) When originally built in 1899 as the Belleview, the first floor of this building was a saloon, and the second floor, accessible from an outside staircase, was a rooming house for the miners. During the Prohibition era, a still was located in a cabin out back, and the products reportedly stored behind a false wall in the basement. Adjacent, the Old Town Jail. Not the oldest jail in the community, this wooden version was the first substantial calaboose built by the Town of Silverton. Completed in 1883, it then stood behind the old City Hall on Blair Street. Photographs Top: Interior of old saloon on Blair Street, early 1900s. |
The Silverton Magazine. Copyright 2000-2010 Published by San Juan Publishing Group, Inc., Colorado No part of this publication may be reproduced in any means whatsoever without written authorization from SJPG. (plagerizers will be hung from the yardarm and fed to the mountain sharks!) Queries for re-print rights, email [email protected] |
Copyright San Juan Publishing Group, Inc. Web design by Kathryn R Burke